What does a licensed practical nurse do?
Licensed practical nurses (LPNs) provide routine nursing care for patients. They work under the direction of registered nurses or physicians.
What might a licensed practical nurse do in a workday?
- take and record patients’ vital signs, such as blood pressure and temperature.
- perform some diagnostic tests and treatments.
- assist patients with daily activities, such as feeding, bathing, and exercising, which may involve lifting and turning patients.
- observe patients and report any reactions to treatments or medications.
- care for patients ranging from newborns to adults, to labor and delivery, and to postmortem.
How much does a licensed practical nurse earn?
- $25,000 - $40,000
How do I become a licensed practical nurse?
Students intending to pursue a career as a licensed practical nurse should prepare by taking high school courses in science, math and English. To become a licensed practical nurse, students must complete an approved practical nursing program and pass the NCLEX-PN, a national licensure exam.
Where else can I learn about becoming a licensed practical nurse?
National Federation of Licensed Practical Nurses Inc.
111 W. Main Street, Suite 100 / Garner, NC 27529
tel: (919) 779-0046 / web: www.nflpn.org
National Association for Practical Nurse Education and Service
1940 Duke Street, Suite 200 / Alexandria, VA 22314
tel: (703) 933-1003 / www.napnes.org
State Licensure Requirements for Licensed Professional Nurses:
A license is required to practice as a licensed practical nurse in the state of Virginia. For more information on licensure, applications and forms, visit www.dhp.virginia.gov/nursing.
Virginia Board of Nursing
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300 / Henrico, VA 23233
Phone: (804) 367-4515 / Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Educational Institutions in Virginia for Licensed Practical Nurses:
- Dabney S. Lancaster Community College
- Danville Community College
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- Lord Fairfax Community College - Fauquier Campus
- Mountain Empire Community College
- New River Community College
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
- Rappahannock Community College - Glenns Campus
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Virginia Western Community College
- Wytheville Community College